Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Carpe Diem

In my short 27 years of life, I have noticed a major theme of my generation in America. We are wasteful. I cannot begin to fathom how many years of my life have been wasted away: the countless hours spent in front of a television or computer, the days in which I vigorously watched the second hand click on a clock, longing for the day to be over, and the months that I might as well have been dead, feeling sorry for myself and walking around like a zombie who had lost his appetite.

How many days have you approached with a fervor for what lay ahead? How many mornings have you looked at the day ahead with a world-changing attitude? Have you ever asked the Spirit of God to work in and through you today?

It is easy to get lost in the monotony of life. Get up, get ready, go to work, come home, relax, go to bed. Rinse and repeat. But what if we viewed each day as an opportunity instead of an obligation? Would this not change our approach?

We all have some sort of long-term goals, they just differ depending on our current stage of life. You may even have short-term goals, say for this year, resolutions made on New Year's Day. But what about goals for today?

Today, I will enjoy the gift of life and seize the opportunities presented me.

Today, I pray that the Spirit of God will work in and through me.

Today, I will show love to a stranger.

Today, I will be joyous in every circumstance.

Today, I will bring peace instead of conflict.

Today, I will be patient with my family, my co-workers, and other drivers.

Today, I will be kind to the unkind.

Today, I will check my motives, and seek to be pure in my heart.

Today, I will be gentle in my interactions with all types of people.

Today, I will be faithful that God is in control, especially when it gets hard to achieve these goals!

Today, I will be Spirit-controlled.

Matt 6:34 (The Message): Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.

Beat of the Week:




Baller of the Week: Greivis Vasquez

I am not a Maryland fan, at all. But I always enjoyed watching this guy play. He brings intensity every night, and during the 2010 NBA Draft he was no different. On a night when college basketball's best players are in attendance, excited to see how high in the draft they will be selected, Vasquez was there, sitting in the stands with his family instead of on the floor with the lottery picks. When his name was called as the 28th pick, he was all excitement. Sadly, a lot of players would have been disappointed to be picked at the end of the 1st round, but Vasquez is just excited for his opportunity. And I am excited to see what he brings to the NBA. With college stats similar to Evan Turner (2nd pick overall), and the maturity of a graduated senior, I think he will surprise a lot of people if/when he is given the playing time.

No comments: